Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tuned Connection, Moving as One

Tuned Connection, Moving as One
1.1 A partner was teaching me how to connect with her while doing the Cha Cha Cha. I had to hold my elbow at my side with my hand forwards, holding hers. Then with my elbow fixed at my side I leaned into my hand and she did the same, as if we were holding each other up by leaning against each other. Then when I moved forwards, or backwards, she felt me move through the change in pressure from my hand.
1.2 Leaning in to each other dance, we had to hold all of ourselves poised, so that we were pushing each other with all of our body, not just our hand. Our whole body was behind the push. And at the same time we both pulled inwards so that whether we were moving forwards or backwards, or to either side, we could move together, as one.
1.3 As I moved, whether forwards or backwards, my whole body moved. With my elbow fixed to my side as my body moved forwards, my elbow, and hand did too. Likewise when I moved back, in either case my partner was able to move with me.
1.4 Whenever I was not pressing, not leaning in, my teacher would remind me that we were not connected. I had to press inwards so that she could press back. Otherwise she would just fall into my arms.
1.5 Dancing with someone we pull them in a little and push them away at the same time. We both do this so that we create tension between us balancing firmness of the idea of ourselves with the ability to connect to ideas outside of ourselves. When we had the right amount of tension, she could feel me when I moved forwards or backwards and move with me as I did so. At the same time I could feel her and where she was able to go.
1.6 By being firm in our connection we both know what we want to do and are willing to share that knowing. Being soft in our connection we are willing to listen to our partner both so that we know where they are and where they are able to go.
1.7 Conscious, we tune our connection so that we can move together and at the same time feel each other, not too close, and not too far, connected but both of us with room to move, both of us centered on each other. Sensing and directing, we change ourselves and because we are connected we then change each other and so it is easier to move as one.

No comments:

Contact

Neil Keleher

neilkeleher@gmail.com

©Neil Keleher 2008