Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Idea of Anger

ANGER AND OTHER IDEAS THAT BEND THE PATH OF LIGHT
1.1 If the space and time continuum bends or curves, light bends with it. But what bends space and time? Things with gravity bend space and time. Things with spin too. If ideas have gravity and spin then can they too bend space and time and thus the path of light? If anger is an idea can it bend the path of light around us and distort what we see?
1.2 How do different people see the same things differently? Perhaps one of the reasons is because we all attach to different ideas of how the world is, and those ideas shape the lenses through which we view the world.
1.3 I used to be affected by the idea of anger and the more attention I gave it the more real it became. My anger gained weight and heaviness and it bent my perception to the point where I noticed that pictures I’d looked at while angry actually looked different when I looked at them again while calm.
1.4 Knowing that water refracts light we can position ourselves ninety degrees to its surface so that the image of what we are viewing is in line with the thing itself. And if we go into the water, then not only are we in line with the truth we see the truth.
1.5 Imagine if we know we are angry and that our anger is distorting what we say and see. Then imagine that if we go into our anger so that we see what is really there, so that what we see is not longer distorted. Perhaps then we can let go. (or we step outside of our anger to see what is really outside of ourselves.)
1.6 For myself there is a feeling of tightness when I get angry, a clear demarcation between myself and what is around me and where all I can feel is myself and the object of my ire. There’s also a sense that I have energy to discharge and the only way I can do that is to aim it at what I am angry at. But when I do that there is no sense of joy afterwards, more a feeling of depletion and emptiness. If instead of taking out my anger in the way I want to I find a way to move beyond the tightness...
1.7 Knowing when I am angry, I am getting better at realizing that I am not at my best and that my vision is skewed and that I am hardly being conscious, that I’m not giving myself the best view of the way ahead. So I work at becoming conscious again. Sometimes I put myself in the other person’s shoes. Sometimes, I think bigger imagining my senses pushing outwards. Sometimes I just start being more conscious and thus bigger, and thus able to handle and even enjoy what is going on around me.
1.8 While driving a bob sled I’m more likely to keep the sled running true, giving it plenty of room so that it doesn’t bang into the sides of the track if I am conscious. If I haven’t practiced or aren’t conscious of where we are and what we are doing, I keep bumping the sled into the sides of the track. Anger is like the friction caused by bumping into the track. Becoming conscious, I can get the sled to run true, a little bit harder than having it run true right from the beginning of the run, but it is still possible.
1.9 Becoming conscious we give ourselves and the people around us room. Conscious we can find ways to allow energy to flow in a way that benefits everyone involved, a way that allows us all to feel refreshed and energized as opposed to drained and lifeless.
1.10 Conscious, there is no room for anger, for separation, we see from everyone’s point of view. Or we have a positive focus for our awareness. Rather than what the people around us are doing what we want to do that is positive and light, what we want to do that has the maximum benefit for ourselves and everyone around us.

No comments:

Contact

Neil Keleher

neilkeleher@gmail.com

©Neil Keleher 2008