Monday, June 23, 2008

Parts of an Idea-going up the gears

GOING UP THE GEARS
1.1 I’ve always loved motorcycles. Well maybe not always, but for a long time. One of my regrets was turning down the opportunity to buy my first bike. I was in the British Army at the time and I’d just finished basic training and was waiting to start my trade training. A fellow soldier had just completed his own trade training and was being sent to a different country so he wanted to sell his bike. It was perfect for learning on, only 100cc. Good condition too and cheap. The trouble was, that I’d never ridden before and I didn’t have a clue about taking lessons or getting licensed. Too difficult I thought, and so I passed it up, missing a fine opportunity to ride around in Europe.
1.2 Perhaps because of that missed opportunity I began to want to ride more and more, and perhaps because of that I also programmed myself to jump at the next opportunity to ride. That happened in Germany. I’d just been posted there and as soon as I arrived had been sent on an exercise in the south.
1.3 The guys who let me ride the bike didn’t know I’d never ridden before. Because I’d never ridden before the one thing I wanted to do was move up through the gears. I thought that would be the most difficult thing to do. I didn’t think about how to steer the bike and how to stop it. I assumed those things were easy and natural. Actually, I didn’t even assume, I just didn’t think about them. I also didn’t pay much attention to the idea of coming off the bike with both the bike and me in one piece. All I thought about was getting on the bike and taking it up through the gears. That was the challenge.
1.4 Riding a bike for the first time I got to second gear with a marvel of hand foot clutch lever gear shifting coordination. From second I went to third and then all the way to forth gear. Shifting gears wasn’t that hard after all! And it was exciting to be riding so fast.
1.5 The road I was riding went slightly uphill and gradually swept to the right. As I got to fourth gear the straight road began to run out. I tried turning the bike with my mind but the bike continued going straight while the road went right. There was a ditch beside the road and I went into it. My friends observed a cloud of dust. I quickly got up to wave and show that I was okay even though I wasn’t. The bike wasn’t in very good shape either. I was told later that I had bent the frame beyond repair.
1.6 A quick cover up ensued and several years after I left the army my dad sent me on a motorcycle course where I modified my idea of what I wanted to do on a bike.
1.7 I wanted to learn all of the smaller ideas that went into making the big idea of riding safe and fun to do. Ideas like how to steer and how to stop the bike while keeping it in one piece. I wanted to have fun riding and I wanted to keep on riding, a continuing action as opposed to one that ends abruptly.

No comments:

Contact

Neil Keleher

neilkeleher@gmail.com

©Neil Keleher 2008