Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Becoming Bigger, Brighter, Light

BECOMING BIGGER, BRIGHTER, LIGHTER
1.1 A long time ago one of my dreams was to do a long road trip along the Pacific Coast on my motorbike. Having just quit my last engineering job I had the perfect opportunity to do a long ride from Calgary to San Francisco. I took three days to get there.
1.2 Riding through Oregon I encountered moments where it seemed like I hardly steered my bike at all. Instead I looked where I wanted to go and the bike went that way by itself. I’d see how the road turned and because I was looking my head would lead my body. My body would lead the bike and the next thing the bike and I would be leaning. It felt like I was simply thinking about where to go, and looking too, and the bike listened.
1.3 Looking where I wanted to go, the slight shift in position of my head was enough to shift the shared center of myself and the bike to the side so that it went where I wanted it to go, falling to the side. But in order for it to do that all the other connections within my body and between my body and the bike needed to be engaged. If my arms were too soft, too relaxed, then any movement of my head would not be transmitted through my arms to the handlebars of my bike, the movement would be lost. However, if my arms had just the right amount of tension then any changes in the position of my head, or even the position of my upper body with respect to my seat would be transmitted via my arms to the bike itself.
1.4 At a rest stop in Oregon along the I5, a man came up to me to tell me how much he enjoyed seeing someone in his element. He didn’t want to be like me, but he admired me for doing what I was doing and it moved him. He also said that as little as a few years ago if he’d have seen me riding the way I was he would have said “That’s guys going too fast!” Now he saw me and thought, “That guy’s doing what he loves!”
1.5 Looking to the horizon, expressing an idea or being pulled towards another we become bigger and brighter. And other people see our brightness.

No comments:

Contact

Neil Keleher

neilkeleher@gmail.com

©Neil Keleher 2008