Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sorrow

SORROW
1.1 A long while ago I was deeply interested in figuring out how muscles worked. This was part of my research into becoming a better yoga teacher. One of the things I noticed was that a lot of texts described the mechanism through which muscles contracted but they mentioned very little about how muscles relax. Did muscle tissue or some of the surrounding fiber have some sort of elasticity that pulled the muscles back to length after they had contracted?
1.2 Waiting in line at a coffee shop I mentioned to a friend what I was studying, trying to figure out how muscles let go. She suggested that it was like a relationship, looking back at it and going into it so that we can let it go.
1.3 That was how I felt when I copied my friends gesture of sorrow, it took me into myself, so that I was no longer giving or receiving, I was pulling in from space and looking back across time to see what I’d done as well as those around me from a different point of view. Recognizing what I’d done so that I could expand out into space again and express myself again, but differently if I chose.
1.4 Sorrow, going within so that we can look back across time and recognize when we don’t recognize the gifts that those around us have given us. Going within so that we can learn from those experiences and grow and then expand outwards back into time to live life in a new way, expanding out further from our roots in the past.
1.5 Sorrow pulling us into ourselves exactly so that at our center we can let sadness go.

No comments:

Contact

Neil Keleher

neilkeleher@gmail.com

©Neil Keleher 2008